About the School
About the School
The Stockholm School of Economics in Riga (SSE Riga) is a business school in Riga, Latvia, founded in 1994 and over the years has acquired a reputation as the leading business school in the region. You don’t have to go far from home to study in one of the best Business Schools in Europe.
"By providing an education that is competitive at the European level, SSE Riga gives talented Baltic students an opportunity staying “at home” rather than going abroad for studies. Otherwise, the most talented might leave the region and once they have done that, it will be difficult to lure them back," says Anders Paalzow, SSE Riga Rector.
Founded by the Stockholm School of Economics and the Latvian Government, the School started with only 56 local students. SSE Riga has grown today into internationally recognised business school with more than 2,500 alumni worldwide.
SSE Riga is a comparatively small school with a dynamic international learning environment where the majority of the courses are based on the case study method. Tuition is charged, and instruction is in English. In addition to student loans guaranteed by the government and SSE Riga, students have access to other types of financial support, such as SSE Riga Alumni Association Scholarships.
SSE Riga offers two accredited study programmes: a three-year Bachelor’s programme in Economics and Business, and an Executive MBA - a two-year professional Master’s programme:
- 130 students every year are admitted to the Bachelor’s programme
- 20-30 students every year enrol in the Master’s programme
SSE Riga Executive Education offers effective training and management development solutions to local and international clients in the private and public sector through the following:
- Open Programmes – equip participants with skills and knowledge to address business challenges
- Custom Programmes – designed to meet the specific needs of the organization
The School is also keen to promote a debate in topics that are of relevance to the Latvian economy as well as to the economies of the two other Baltic countries. The School’s capacity is strengthened with several centres for studies and research.
The SSE Riga mission is to contribute to the economic, social and democratic development of the region.
The mission rests on five pillars the BSc programme, the Executive MBA programme, Executive Education, research, and the Centre for Media Studies. All of them contributing to the fulfilment of the ambitious mission set by the founders in the early 1990s; the BSc programme mainly having an impact in the long term, whereas the other four activities or pillars have an impact in the short to medium term.
Educational Mission - FREE
Being part of the SSE family, SSE Riga shares the same educational mission as SSE and SSE Russia. SSE family has formulated its overarching educational aims through the acronym FREE. It stands for:
- Fact- and science-minded. An education from SSE Riga rests on scientifically produced knowledge. The bases for knowledge and critical thinking are factual.
- Reflective and self-aware. Graduates shall cultivate their reflective minds and understand their own motives, attitudes, preferences, perception, values and feelings.
- Empathetic and culturally literate. Graduates shall develop their empathy. Being better in understanding and sharing the feelings of others make them not only better decision makers but also better citizens.
- Entrepreneurial and responsible. Graduates shall question the status quo, actively drive change and adopt a creative approach to the activities they engage in. Being entrepreneurial also entails taking responsibility for one’s actions and seeing their impacts in the society and on the world at large.
Values of SSE Riga community
The core values of SSE Riga provide a foundation for faculty, staff, and students to accomplish its mission.
Integrity: we adhere to high ethical standards by applying accountable academic and administrative policies, practices and services; the School requires practicing dignity and honesty in actions and words.
Community: we nurture a diverse and caring community in which each member of the School is valued and respected; a positive and friendly atmosphere is created, allowing space for individual uniqueness and teamwork collaboration.
Excellence: we demand intellectual rigor and critical enquiry in advancing academic work and expanding knowledge; we serve as a catalyst for positive changes in the Baltic countries and beyond.