Centre for Media Studies
- Calendar 2017
- Calendar 2016
- Training Programmes
- Baltic Journalist Travel Grant
- New Publications
- Useful Links
- Centre for Sustainable Business
- Entrepreneurship Support Centre
- Institute for Entrepreneurship
Centre for Media Studies
To support education and research in the Baltic media, SSE Riga has established the Centre for Media Studies at SSE Riga. This initiative is of utmost importance to SSE Riga, as its mission is to promote independent education as well as to expand the School’s network. The Centre for Media Studies at SSE Riga provides further education for journalists in the fields of investigative reporting, business reporting and journalistic ethics.
The mission of the Centre for Media Studies at SSE Riga:
- to help ensure that the Baltic countries have well-trained, committed and motivated journalists;
- to support the development of new business models in media by providing guidance for international praxis and non-governmental organizations;
- to bring out discussions on media structure, economics and ownership;
- to pursue discussion on issues of journalistic quality and ethics.
This is performed through education, seminars/workshops and research.
The Centre for Media Studies at SSE Riga will communicate values such as transparency, respect, integrity and anti-corruption. It is of great value to promote cooperation between the Baltic States and international partners. A commitment from Swedish journalists and newspaper/media owners to communicate these values is a necessary condition for success.
The goal is to create long-term activities which will contribute to the development of both individual journalists and the media overall in the three Baltic countries by:
- Conducting training of journalists
- Conducting seminars giving inspiration and allowing for the exchange of experiences
- Conducting various events to expand the journalists’ network and to also include journalists from Sweden and other Nordic countries
- Conducting research projects related to media
- Conducting policy-oriented events
The activities of the Centre for Media Studies at SSE Riga are organized by the Communication Department at SSE Riga. The Board consists of Anders Alexanderson, Vice President of Public Affairs SSE Riga; and Hans Månson of Malmö, Sweden, a former editor-in-chief of Sydsvenska Dagbladet and visiting professor in “practical journalism” at JMG, University of Gothenburg. Mr Månson is a visiting professor at SSE Riga and Programme Director for the Centre.
Support and Financing
The Centre for Media Studies at SSE Riga was established in 2009 thanks to a donation from the Anne-Marie and Gustaf Ander Foundation for Media Research in Karlstad, Sweden. Gustaf Ander (1912-2000) was a major Swedish publisher for four decades. The foundation is still by far the major sponsor.
The expansion eastwards is financed by the Swedish Institute.
The Nordic Council of Ministers has provided support to several programmes.
Activity Report 2014-20150.42 MB, pdf
The activities of the Centre for Media Studies at SSE Riga are sponsored by the Swedish Anne-Marie and Gustaf Ander Foundation.
The Centre for Media Studies at SSE Riga is a member in the Global Investigative Journalism Network - the world's leading international association of investigative reporting organizations, with 98 member groups in 44 countries.